Wednesday 14 November 2012

Arranging Everything

The next point for me to think about was how close the deadline actually is. The time has gone far quicker than I thought and the deadline is only just over three weeks away.

Finding an Actor/Actress

This has caused me to look into getting hold of an actor/actress. To do this I had to think about who I wanted to play the role and why:
  • The theme of loneliness is very specific and causes need for a specific group of people to be cast. I couldn't really use children as they wouldn't entirely understand and they tend to give off thoughts of happiness, which needed to be avoided: This narrowed it down to people aged roughly 16+.
  • I also thought about the most commonly seen loneliness, which left me with either the elderly or young adults.
  • The next thought was then to chose a gender. This is really seen as a matter of personal opinion but I feel that the idea of loneliness is better shown by a female as males tend to group a lot more with large groups of friends and females are quite reliant on having only a couple of really good friends or a partner. People also seem to feel more sympathy towards a vunerable female than they do a male, and this could cause a much nicer connection to the character.
With all of this in mind I looked to my friends and family to see if anyone would be suitable as well as being available. The only person that fit all of my criteria was a girl called Sarah Welsh who has an acting age of around 20, which seems to fit quite well and I believe would do the film justice.

Filming Dates

She had the best availability out of everyone I asked and even this wasn't brilliant, but it's possible if I prepare all of the shots before her arrival. My filming dates are now set to be:
  • Sunday 18th November
  • Saterday 24th November
  • Sunday 25th November
Though I will hopefully not need to use the latter date if I prepare well enough. I am also aware that this doesn't leave me much time for any post production (just under 2 weeks) but with enough effort and some solid preperation I believe I can pull it off.

Equipment

  • Judging from the layout of the module's tutorials it seems that the recommended camera for this module is the Canon 550D. I have been using the Canon 550D for over a year now and have my own, so getting hold of this is no problem at all.
  • I will also be needing use of a tripod, this I can get from a friend of mine who is a film student himself and has around three different tripods that are available on all three of my filming dates.
  • I then need to think about lighting. I have stated that I want to use natural and practical lighting in my shots and so the natural lighting is mostly out of my control, and practical lights will mostly be common things lying around the house. I have however decided to do a shot using sparklers as I have thought about doing this type of shot for a long time: I have therefore been out and bought four boxes of sparklers to use for filming.
  • Another thing to think about was then reflector boards (gold/silver), which could be borrowed from stores, but after some digging I managed to find a friend who has his own reflector boards that he has offered to lend me for use.
  • The last thing to get hold of was something to allow steady camera movement and since the stores don't currently have any steadycams available I have opted to try using a track. Track work is something I have never done before and so this will be quite a good skill to learn for the module.

No comments:

Post a Comment