Monday 17 December 2012

The Problem With Noise

Noise:


One main issue that I had during the making of my film was noise. This was due to the way that the canon 550D's video setting does not have as much flexibility as it's still modes: for example you cannot change the f-stop of the camera when it is in video mode and the shutter speed can only be taken down to 30.
Due to my film revolving around natural light and practical light, aswell as being set mainly at night, I didn't have a hell of a lot of light to work with, and the low light capabilities of the camera meant that the ISO had to be ramped up quite high (peaking over 1000 at times), and this caused my footage to have a lot of noise and grain.
The only real solution for this would be to remove the noise in the program Adobe After Effects, however when it came down to doing this I discovered that my laptop couldn't handle working on the clip due to it's length, and when cutting down the footage to work on it, it was clear to see that removing the noise was making the footage far too soft, where some shots are already bordering on too soft, and so the decision was made to keep the noise in the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment